The Gallup Organization
- Exactly 80 percent of respondents believed that playing an instrument makes you smarter.
- More than 95 percent of respondents said music was part of a well-rounded education. Close to 85 percent of respondents believed participating in a school music program corresponds with better grades.
- Close to 78 percent of respondents said learning a musical instrument helps you do better in other subjects.
- About 96 percent of respondents said that school band was a good way to develop teamwork skills.
- Approximately 71 percent of respondents believed that teenagers who play an instrument are less likely to have discipline problems.
- Approximately 93 percent of respondents felt schools should offer musical instrument instruction as part of regular curriculum.
- Nearly 88 percent said playing an instrument teaches children discipline.